Each magnetogram is a 60 kbyte GIF image. Celestial north is at the top;
east is at the left.
- Continuum brightness
- The underlying image shows a continuum image of the region observed.
- Line-of-sight component of the magnetic field
- The red and blue contours show the component of the vector
magnetic field projected onto the line-of-sight. Red contours
indicate field towards the observer, and blue contours indicate
field away from the observer.
- Transverse component of the magnetic field
- The short, green (or white) line segments show the direction and
magnitude of the
projection of the magnetic field vector into the plane perpendicular
to the line of sight.
- Solar Coordinates
- The yellow contours show the solar coordinates of the observed region
(solar latitude and central meridian distance) in degrees.
Negative values indicate the eastern and southern hemispheres.